Sunday, March 27, 2005

Faith-Based Propaganda

I really wish that I was making this shit up. The following text was taken directly from the White House website where they run a regular segment entitled "Ask the White House." The segment works much like the Bush administration's scripted town hall meetings where invited members of the congregation, I mean, population, ask hard-hitting Gannonesque questions of White House staff concerning federal policy. This particular passage came from a February 28, 2005 "discussion" with Jim Towey, Director of the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives. According to the biography provided on the White House site Mr. Towey "founded and ran Aging with Dignity, a national non-profit organization that helps families plan for and discuss the care they want during times of serious illness." Take a look at "Ask the White House" if you need a good laugh.


February 28, 2005

Jim Towey
Hello to all of you. It is great to be back on "Ask the White House." I always find the questions unique and interesting and I'll do my best today to answer as many of them as I can (although I have been warned that a ton of questions have come in already). I am excited about 2005 and I know the President is going to talk about his plans for his second term with his important faith-based and community initiative.

Carly, from Tallahassee, Florida writes:
Mr. Towey, While I know the Faith-based and Community Initiatives Program is nation-wide, is there equal participation among the states or do some faith-based providers in particular geographical locations participate more than those in other locations?
Thank you, Carly

Jim Towey
Hi Carly! I'll always grab a question from Tallahassee because I lived there for almost 20 years and three of my children were born there! And my bald brother lives there, too. Good question to open with: there are 24 states that have governors who have opened faith-based and community offices (including Governor Bush, who is a friend and a real leader in helping these "armies of compassion" help those in need). Today the President met with all of the governors at the White House and he urged the other 26 to follow suit so that all barriers in America to fair competition are removed.

Aaron, from Athens, Ohio writes:
What state was Terri Schiavo from again?
Thank you, Aaron.

1 Comments:

Blogger Yonder Vittles said...

If you are just now checking in with us at JOAN that probably means that you did not have the oportunity to see the compromised first draft of this post. Had I been writing for an actual publication an egomaniac with a cluttered desk would have pointed out that my story lacked any degree of clarity or focus. I would also have health insurance, yet I digress. As it stands I rely upon the feedback of friends and fellow scribes - most devoid of health insurance also - to help me hone my craft.

In response to answer your question, Anna, there was nothing else that you missed, except that the little blurb you read was poorly written.

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home